Hollywood Sign, What To Know?
Learn more about the Hollywood sign with us. The world-famous Hollywood sign is located in the city of Los Angeles, California, and it overlooks Hollywood. It stands as a metaphor for success, ambition, and glamour of the Hollywood Industry. Originally, the site was meant for real estate development and named “Hollywoodland”, and later rebuilt it as “Hollywood” in 1949.
Additionally, in the 70s, the sign was destroyed and lost due to vandalism. Moreover, at that time, individual letters were auctioned to famous stars and it stands still in the best condition to date.
The Hollywood sign is a major tourist attraction and hiking trail. People go for hiking, horseback rides and even a helicopter tour to have a look at the famous sign.
Facts About The Hollywood Sign
1. The sign was to advertise real estate, a housing development namely Hollywoodland and was studded with 4000 light bulbs. The removal of the word “land” came up to avoid the complete demolition of the sign. Thus, the word Hollywood remained to symbolize the glamorous industry and its neighborhood.
2. An actress committed suicide by climbing up the letter “H” and jumping from the Hollywood Sign. The letters are tall measuring 45 feet each.
3. The sign is to promote the town and has high-level security around it, to protect it from vandalism and other damages. A famous actor donated each letter to restore it after it was vandalized. Furthermore, there were many reports of pranksters doing mischief with the words, to protest a cause or to support some presidential candidacy.
Other Interesting Facts
4. The Hollywood sign is too expensive, it nearly amounted to $21,000 back in those days, which is half a million dollars at present. Many people nearby do not like the tourists coming into the neighborhood and visiting the sign.
5. The sign appeared in many movies and the directors and actors always enjoyed the act of destroying it. Hence, although the sign stands until today, it has many controversies around it.
Conclusion About The Hollywood Sign
The Hollywood sign is a major tourist attraction despite many controversies and damages. Although it is a highly protected area with motion sensors and a razor-wire fence, people do love to see it and click pictures near it. The easiest way to get there is through shuttle services from Griffith Observatory. Moreover, apart from this hiking, horse riding is also some of the choices. The maintenance is by the trust which is a California Non-Profit Organization.
The Google map never shows the exact direction for the sign; this is because the locals, especially people living nearby, do not like visitors to keep flocking around the sign. Therefore, GPS coordination changes to the sign, hiding it form tourists. The only way to see it is through Griffiths Observatory. After all these restrictions, people still love to see the beautiful sign.